Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Silence is Golden






“For God alone, oh my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him”  (Psalm 62:5 NIV)


Everyone is so busy these days; we pack our schedules with more and more activities and things on our to-do list that there is just not enough room to spend quiet time with our own best thoughts, let alone quiet moments with God. If we would just stop for a little while and reacquaint ourselves with the person we are inside; you know…..spend some time with us! And what about making our daily quiet time with God a pleasure instead of a duty? God knows that we live busy lives and that a great deal of our time involves taking care of business, homes and relationships, but here’s the thing; when we rush through making daily quiet time with ourselves, it can also become a habit that pushes us away from Him little by little. The oh-so urgent concerns of our daily lives can wait for a little bit so that we can enjoy some time to sit, think, reflect, relax, and let our minds allow God to refresh and renew our spirit, soul, and body for the coming day!

“When I find myself racing around, trying to fill a day with mindless tasks or petty entertainment, this is usually the time that God whispers to my heart to draw away with Him and to silence my heart as He wishes to speak.” (Katherine Walden)

I love a day that is busy and filled with excitement and activity, but I have learned that my days are even better when they are balanced with quiet and peaceful times. And I can’t allow myself to just “find” the time, because by the time I have accomplished everything and communicated with everyone I set out to do, I am too exhausted to take time out for God and for myself. One thing we all have in common is the same amount of time each day, and it’s all about our view of time and life itself, and how we use the time we have. Are we really too busy to spend time with God? If our daily agendas are allowing to drive us away from seeking the Lord, then we are setting ourselves up for failure and we are closing the door and separating ourselves from the source of our strength. When we find quiet, undistracted time throughout our day to gather our thoughts, we have the opportunity to give more value and support to the things that matter most. It’s the time when we can let down our defenses and expectations, remove all the different “masks” we wear throughout the day and just be ourselves.


Whatever the case may be, when we are too busy to spend time alone with God, then we are just too busy. We need to remember the story of Mary and Martha. Martha was very busy and would have fit in beautifully in our world, but Mary chose to spend time with Jesus because she knew what would matter in the course of forever.
 
Deepest communion with God is beyond words, on the other side of silence. (Madeleine L’Engle)

13 comments:

  1. Morning Denise you are the third person including me who use Psalm as their topic post for today...what is God trying to tell us? I love your post about the time..We do complain and let time slip past us then later we are like where did time go as if it got lost. We just need to be better stewards of our time and do what is a must like Mary chose to sat at Jesus feet instead of doing all the work..Where Martha she just had to get her house work done...Martha, Martha...she did not see what was more important did she? And we at times can be just like her we don't see what is important at times...

    Have a great day sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Yeah it's true that sometimes we ought to reflect if we are a Martha or a Mary. It's important to know the heart of the Savior - What He really wants... Blessings! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise - such a great reminder and one I desperately need right now. Thank you my friend.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is truly important to not see what we have to do concerning God as a duty.

    Thanks for reminding me about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise, thank you for stopping by today. Coming here to read your most timely post is a reminder to me that taking time with God does not diminish my time, but can only enhance it and make it more profitable. It's too easy for me to miss what God has for me in the day. I wonder how many blessing I miss, and how many times I miss being a blessing to others...

    Grace and peace,
    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good word Denise. I needed this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise, I am guilty of that more than I like to admit. Thanks for the good reminder today.

    Blessings...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Correction, Denise, It is truly important to SEE what we have to do concerning God -- as a duty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always found that when I make time for God, you know, for my quiet time with Him, then all the other things in my day fall into place. During those quiet minutes with Him, He helps me to prepare for my day and to face each thing with His strength! Blessings, Denise! Thanks for the encouragement this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your sweet reminder: I need to be more like Mary and savor time with my Father. I needed that today. Thank you, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog, Denise, cheers from Argentina!
    HD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this post! I remember when I realized every person has the exact about of time....I knew it was up to me to use mine wisely...
    have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time is one of my other "reality checks" God has me looking at...I should just post back to this post since it says it so well

    ReplyDelete