Sunday, April 29, 2012

God's Promise to The Humble


“Humility is the gateway into the grace and the favor of God.”
(Harold Warner)
 
Humility is a word that defines how we should submit and respond to trials, fear, rejection, and disappointment; not my will but yours God! So often we face situations and feel scared, inadequate, or inferior and react with pride and self-importance, or anger and aggression, rather than obeying and submitting to God and trusting that He has a greater plan; and in the end He always wins! I can think of times when I didn't act with humility because during the situation I wanted to do it my way. I have never liked being around prideful people, however pride has many symptoms that are often hard to see even in myself! Many times those who dislike pride the most are the ones who find it most difficult to be humble. Rachel Olsen says it perfect, "Humility can be defined as the absence of pride. In that sense, we can think of humility as what's left when our pretense is stripped away."


 "Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time." (1 Peter 5:5-7)

Our pride carries our worries, stresses, and daily struggles within instead of trusting God fully with our lives. We all have our crosses to bear, and we are called to take up our crosses daily and follow Him. But these crosses can crush us if we try to carry them ourselves! Trust and humility is the confidence that the mighty hand of God is not over you to crush you, but to care for you just like His promise says. When we cast all of our anxieties on God, it means that we trust in His promise that He will take care of us, and that He has the power and wisdom to put that care to work in the most glorious way. It takes faith, trust, and humility to completely submit to God and die to ourselves, because we can’t be full of God if we are full of ourselves!

"God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6)

I believe that nothing is hidden in God's eyes, and He is there for all of us who are struggling, in pain, or whom the world rejects. God is humble and He doesn't have favorites! He takes delight in blessing all of His children regardless of their wealth, fame, poverty, handicaps, or intelligence. Rather that react in a prideful manner just for self-approval or for the sake of popularity, God blesses those who are humble. I know that many times when I am not feeling as close to God as I would like, even when prayer, fellowship, and/or worshiping is not softening my heart, it's more than likely that I am just in need of a bit of painful humbling. There are so many times in my life that I need to (sincerely!) confess to Him and admit that I need to change; to be willing to do so! It takes humility to turn to God in repentance and recognize that He cares, and can handle all my anxieties and struggles. What I must realize is that I am dependent on God for everything good in my life, and that His recognition counts more than human praise. I need to be humble enough to release all pride.

"Obedience is the road to freedom, humility the road to pleasure, unity the road to personality." C.S Lewis

Linking up with Spiritual Sundays and The Beauty in His Grip

Beauty in His Grip Button

15 comments:

  1. It can be difficult at times. But submitting to God's ways is always best. That might mean that we work with no recognition. After all, we are working as unto the Lord and not men.

    Great post Denise and happy Sunday to you.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humility and submission don't come in the natural. However with God all things are possible. And when we humbly submit to God's Spirit we find the amazing ways He works with us, in us, and through us!

    Blessings and hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise I love what you wrote today sis..What a strong message you gave and I pray that those who did not make it to church today will see this as their sermon for today..Great sermon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you Denise. Perfect timing on your post. I shared something similar on my blog as well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Denise,

    Really good posts on humility. One thing that struck me was that it's easy to see pride in others, but fail to recognize it in ourselves.

    One of the sentences that struck me was, "Our pride carries our worries, stresses, and daily struggles within instead of trusting God fully with our lives."

    That really is true, it's pride with a mask.

    Thank you for challenging me.

    Blessings in Christ...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humility is something so significant comes in such subtle ways. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right, Denise! When we try to carry our burdens alone, we will get crushed! Jesus says to be yoked with Him -- so together the burden becomes light! I pray that I remember to toss away my pride and always humble myself before Him! Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Humility can be defined as the absence of pride".

    A beautiful post. You said so much in so few words that many of us connect with.

    I strive for humility.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm smiling now as I recall the saying "Lord, it's hard to be humble when I'm perfect in every way." The Lord does have a way of humbling us if we get too proud. We need to always remember that He wants us to be humble and not proud. Sometimes it may be hard to know the difference between having self esteem and being proud. They say that when we think we're humble, that's when we're not. I like the quote by Harold Warner.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Returned to give you another hug dear one. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is a good reminder for each of us Denise. Everyone needs to be careful about letting pride take over.

    Yes, pride is a very powerful and destructive force...it's what brought Lucifer down.

    I used to take my girls to parades when they were little but I stopped after a local parade started including some girls from a topless bar! To me that was the pennacle of how society takes what should be considered shameful and instead they are strutting around with pride. I don't know if they are still in that parade because i haven't watched it since and it's been a decade or more.

    ~Hugs & Blessings Dear Sister~
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your blog through a very wise and beautiful comment you posted at Conceive Writing...I'm glad you did! God bless as you honor Him with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My prayer everyday is to humble myself the lowest so that I can exalt God the highest. Thanks for sharing this post! Blessings and hugs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the way you unmasked pride. It can be cleverly cloaked.

    ReplyDelete