Saturday, May 11, 2013

Aging With Grace




“Oh God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood, and I constantly tell others about the wonderful things you do. Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me oh God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me.” (Psalm 71:17-18 NLT)

Is aging just a bunch of bad news? Absolutely not (even though some days can surely be challenging)! There are some days when the older we get we can feel this way, but even though age may stop us from certain activities or make us feel left behind, it never ends our desire to tell others about the wonderful grace of God, and everything we have seen God do in our many years of life.  Getting older is not a time to merely exist, but a time to grow and bloom and age with grace. It is a time we discover our true selves; the persons we were created to be. We all know what a mature Christian looks like; they will have the fruit of the spirit: love joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  A mature Christian is someone who has been on this journey for a while; they are bearing fruit and are content and satisfied with Jesus. In the Bible, the aged are perceived as resourceful people with valuable gifts to share for the good of everyone; and both the blessings and responsibilities of aging are to be accepted with gratitude and in a sense of stewardship.

“But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus-the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.” (Acts20:24 NLT)

What do you see happening in your life over the next few years? Do you have a vision? What is more important to you-what you get out of life or what you put into it? Here are some thoughts on aging:
Becoming older means accumulating and cherishing precious memories.

Becoming older means keeping all doors and options open and not hesitating to try new things.

Becoming older is the opportunity to be still, and in that stillness, become more and more conscious of the timeless happiness and freedom we have received in His grace.

Becoming older is to hold on to an attitude of blessing, love, and support for others — and to express it in a tangible form.

Becoming older is the opportunity to become more and more aware of the wonder and magic present in even the most humble moment.

Becoming older means taking care of our bodies so that we can feel stronger physically, mentally and emotionally.
Becoming older means that time is running out and what are we waiting for????

The scriptures are full of promises of how we are blessed as we age, so growing old should be occasion to rejoice with a deepened commitment to do whatever the Lord enables one us do. What does God expect of us as we age? His plan for us as we mature is to develop a walk that involves habits of trust, praise, and hope with a lifestyle that nourishes and feeds the many wonderful people that crossed our lives. We can serve as mentors, teaching wisdom and virtue. And above all else…we can love. Love remains our last and best gift to others. The time of old age can be a joyful time of harvest if we have sown the seeds of good fruit.

“Old is authentic. Old is genuine. Old is valuable.” (Billy Graham)






Linking up with...
USE this for BLOG
Beauty in His Grip Button


37 comments:

  1. My mother once said something that made a great impact on my life. When you are old and not able physically to do as much as before, you are in the blessed position and you have ample time to pray!! Oh, it is always a blessings to learn from those who have walked this narrow road a bit longer than you. Lovely post, thanks!
    Blessings from Barbie's
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW; so true Mia.....my Mama was a wonderful inspiration in my life too! I hope to age as gracefully as she did! Blessings!

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post and one I will share with my friends. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan; enjoyed visiting your site too! :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, time is running out, and I must finish editing my two last books with stories about my life. Thanks for your beautiful post on growing older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that many will love and cherish your books when they are finished Hazel. Happy Mother's Day!

      Delete
  4. Love this encouragement about getting older--because I am definitely aging. :-) Thanks for listing so many benefits. You're right that we can and need to love til the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thankful for all the people God has placed in my life that show me love, and in turn want me to give back! :)

      Delete
  5. Denise, your post coincides so well with a book I finished reading yesterday titled 31 Days of Encouragement by Ruth Meyers. In it she gives readers ways to see aging from a fresh perspective. Hope you have a happy mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to read that...I can always use a new perspective! Thanks Wanda; Happy Mother's Day to you too!

      Delete
  6. My goal now Denise is to focus on what the Lord wants me to do. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Focusing on that will bring you many blessings sweet friend!

      Delete
  7. This is something I think we need to hear on a regular basis. Society has it all wrong and we feel like we must fight aging and stay perpetually young but the truth in God's word is that being old is a reason for rejoicing...a lovely thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps me going as I begin this aging process....He has blessed me with so much! :)

      Delete
  8. Excellent post Denise! It reminds me of 2 Corinthians 4:16 "Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day." We need to see that the wear & tear on the body is precious mileage that produced experiential knowledge and wisdom to be used for godly purposes and passed onto the next generation for the glory of God. Have a blessed Mother's Day sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is lovely Brian; thanks for sharing (and for the encouragement!) Blessings and love to you sweet friend!

      Delete
  9. Love this post! To age is to become refined~ I wouldn't trade my age for my youth. Now, I may trade my youthful body for this current one. LOL! But, that's about it. I love the maturity and gray hairs. Yep! I've learned to love who I am, where I am and what I have experienced, for without those highs and lows, there would be no discipline and rooted faith. The Lord is my hope and my future. I am His in life and death. Thanks, for this fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, love what you said here Cynthia! Tanks so much; blessings and love sweet sister!

      Delete
  10. Hi Denise, wow, such a lovely post. I think I am at that age that in the natural, I need to REALLY start making better decisions, but in the Spiritual I most certainly want to make decisions that lead to life, and decisions that when people see me or spend time with me, they want to know the Lord more. Great post my friend. I'm adding this to my list of favourites. Its a great reminder to have at hand.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; I have been at theat age for a while now Tracy! Ha! Thanks sweet friend...your comments bless me!

      Delete
  11. What an inspiring post! Growing old is much more than be gray and sickly. You give me hope. God gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; it is! Praying that we both age with grace and thankfulness Jedidja! Blessings my friend!

      Delete
  12. This is beautiful. I want to age gracefully,continuing in His purposes each day. Thank you for this inspiring reminder. I needed it today! I was your neighbor at Unite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting; will have to come and visit you too! :) Blessings!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for this post, Denise. As someone who will be 65 in August, I confess I don't always look at old age with grace. I struggle with pains in my body & feel too old to do a lot of things. Your post reminded me that there is God's grace at every age, and especially at old age. I'm never too old to tell others of God's grace in my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate Peggy; it's a good day when I have no aches and pains! Ha! Blessings and joy friend!

      Delete
  14. absolutely beautiful! I loved this, "Getting older is not a time to merely exist, but a time to grow and bloom and age with grace. It is a time we discover our true selves; the persons we were created to be." It is so true. Thank you for the encouragement today....It was needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon; it's always a great reminder for me too! :)

      Delete
  15. A poignant post for me this very moment in my life. I will rad this post more than the once as you have so much meat here for me. Thanks and so grateful I came by.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, and being encouraged! Blessings! :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Denise, I have often joked saying, "My goal in life is to retire!" That is, from my job. Actually, growing old is not bad. There is no way I would want to go back and start over because I am looking forward to the good things the Lord has for me in my future. All is good. Have a blessed day, my friend
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to retirement too Ken....there is so much more I have to offer...other than at work-ha! Blessings good friend!

      Delete
  17. Great! Great! post, much said. We are so blessed to be growing into an more mature age! I love it!
    Living F.A.B.ulously on Purpose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw; thanks Margaret...and for the visit! Blessings :)

      Delete
  18. A timely article, Denise! I love that you wrote: "Growing old ...is a time we discover our true selves; the persons we were created to be." That is the perfect word for me right now - thank you! I'm excited to truly discover the person God created me to be and to live out His plan for my life. I may not be a spring chicken anymore, but there is still so much to learn and experience. And, with age comes the maturity to be able to appreciate all that God offers to us in this life.

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like what you said: Becoming older means keeping all doors and options open and not hesitating to try new things. We must be willing to change as our life changes and flow with it. I also like Billy Grahams statement.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for linking up at WholeHearted Home, Denise. This was a great article especially since I am feeling very tired tonight. Age?!

    ReplyDelete