Friday, September 30, 2011

Fight or Flight



“Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.” (James 1:2-4 MSG)

My definition of the “fight or flight syndrome” is what a person's reaction is to stressful circumstances, even in the ordinary course of his life. A person can either face the stress and “fight” back, or retreat and take flight. Sometimes it is so easy to just walk away and avoid trials that cross our paths and/or conversations with people during an uncomfortable circumstance. Or what about approaching a brother in love and helping him to get right with God? Some people have the gift of confrontation, while others try to dodge it.


When it comes to confronting a person, my first response to anger, hurt feelings, or administering discipline is to use confrontation as my very last resort rather than as my first approach, even though  I know that by addressing big issues when they are still small, can greatly enhance a more positive influence, reaction, and result. There are many fears I have about confrontation such as; I may lose my temper, I may upset or make the other person angry, I am just being too sensitive, or what if they completely take it the wrong way and stop talking to me? But God’s desire is to make us mature and complete, and we’ll never know the extent of our character until we see how we react under pressure. As long as we maintain control of our emotions and try to be a peacemaker we are more likely to have a productive and loving conversation that will (hopefully!) produce a resolution.

“Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path.” (Galatians 6:1 NLT)


We should approach each person and situation with the fruit of the spirit, with a patient and gentle manner willing to do whatever God is speaking in our hearts and directing us to do. The bible tells us that when we communicate to others it is important to value their viewpoints and ideas and listen before we make a reply.  How a person handles confrontation is critical to the outcome of the relationship. When I do have to confront a situation or individual I try to follow certain guidelines and steps listed below.

·         Plan how to approach the situation-pray for God’s wisdom and be prepared for what you are going to say before the confrontation takes place

·         Focus on the problem and the desired outcome-Vow to not back down on the limits you have set when meeting the person or situation face to face.

·         Be empathetic and know when to compromise-Do I care about the emotional, physical, and spiritual wellbeing of the one I feel led to confront?

·         Have confidence-Know what God has put on your heart, and with confidence follow through with what you believe is the right solution to the problem.

As Proverbs 15:31-32 teaches us, giving and receiving constructive criticism is a major development of our Christian development and maturity. It can refine our lives!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Denise - I also have learnt (with most people in my life 0 some I still haven't got it right with) to take a step back, calm down, evaluate, pray about it and only do something if the Lord says so. Great encouraging post to do things God's way.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, these are wise and true words. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Denise. The less confrontation...the better! Sometimes there is no choice. I like your guidelines...especially the praying part. Always helps!

    Blessings...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to think how weird it was that we should count it as a joy or as a gift to encounter such trials ... only experience and years (and maybe lots of wisdom) allows us to see how we can be changed and transformed by these unique experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Denise for sharing. I hate confrontation and try to avoid it if at all possible. We must always strive to deal with it in a Godly manor.
    Blessings,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise,

    Thank you for your comment on my blog and especially for this great blog. I have much to learn about 'it' because my first reaction always is to flight. And that isn't often the right attitude. I like your golden steps, which I want to apply/use this week. (I print them out and hang them on the fridge - lol).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate confrontation! However, there are times when it is necessary. Prayer first is always most important. However, if a situation presents itself and we need to respond it's best if we've been in the Word daily and are prepared. You wrote some great advice for these situations Denise.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    PS. I always LOVE your comments on Heart Choices and appreciate them ... and you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it's in defense of our faith I believe God will give us the right words. I too hate confrontation though & am more flighty than fighty I'm afraid:)
    ~Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great truths and advice Denise! I'm much better than I used to be in this area,and can look back and be thankful for the trials I've gone through in the past. At the time I didn't understand, but now I see how they have helped refine me and make me more into a person who looks a little more like her Heavenly Father. ...♫♪...He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be....♫♪

    ♥Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true! Confrontation is difficult, but when we enter into a situation with prayer and the right attitude, things will go better. God will guide us when we look to Him for strength.

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Denise - thank you for linking up with me today for Winsome Wednesday, I appreciate it. I hope to see you there next week and anytime in between as I always enjoy your encouragement. Many blessings my precious friend.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely idea...the prayer box! How exciting to go through and look back & see His answers! Also love, 1 John 5:14. Thanks for sharing! ~ jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Denise - I have so grabbed your button!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  14. God showed these verses to me this week to meditate on them--there is so much to glean from them! I may take another week!

    A Promise filled post, with promise filled Hope.

    I can see why you were featured.

    Hugs,
    Pat Guy

    ReplyDelete