Saturday, July 9, 2011

Spiritual Distraction




“All I want is for you to be able to develop a way of life in which you can spend plenty of time together with the master without a lot of distractions.” (l Corinthians 7:35 MSG)

Are you too busy doing life to spend time with God? There are so many things in this world that fight for my time, and I am the first to admit that I fill any free time with hobbies, activities, and planned events to take advantage of every single minute of the day. My family, friends, work, and social activities all compete for priority, however when I allow myself to get caught up in too much, sometimes I lose my focus and become distracted from time spent with God. I begin to feel an emptiness inside and know that there is something missing, and I realize that I have bumped God out of first place! I feel incomplete and wonder how I could possibly leave out the most important and special existence I have in my life?  

 “A day without God is a day wasted; for our days are numbered and only by walking with God can we lay up for ourselves treasure in Heaven. Brethren, let us than begin each day with God and end each day with God. Amen.” (Unknown)

How much time apart from ALL distractions do you sit down to spend time with God, and to read and meditate on the Scriptures? Spending time with Him should be a part of our daily routine, and we should be willing to abort what we are doing to give Him first place in every area of our lives; our daily time spent with Him should be exciting and life-changing! :) In John 15:5-8 Jesus says that the only way to live a truly good life is to stay close to Him, like a branch attached to the vine. We must spend quality time with Him every day and include Him in all of our relationships and every activity that we invest our time in. Relationships grow stronger the more time spent together, and the same is true with God; we must spend time in His presence everyday. Whatever our plans are, we have to keep God in our consciousness and use our time wisely to enrich our lives in faith. God does not take time out from us, so we should not take time out from Him! :)       

Remember, seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:33).

 “It is impossible for a saint, no matter what his experience, to keep right with God if he will not take the trouble to spend time with God.  Just as a poet or an artist must keep his soul brooding on the right lines, so a Christian must keep the sense of God’s call always awake.  Spend plenty of time with God; let other things go, but don’t neglect Him.  We are not here to do work for God; we are here to be workers with him, those through whom he can do his work.” Oswald Chambers

12 comments:

  1. Hi Denise...

    You are so on target with this post.....I want Christ to be first in my life and yet so many times I let other things get in the way of spending quality time with Him.....It's easy to have a devotion but that QUALITY time take staying focus on what's important.....HIM......

    Thank for stopping by for a visit....your comments are always special...

    I hope you have a wonderful day....Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise - This is so true - I also feel empty if I don't spend time with God. It happens far too often. Its like you say, He gets bumped out of 1st place. The thing is though, when we take the time to spend with Him - somehow there always seems to be time for all the other things - but not so the other way round.
    Great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is so true. With no little ones in the house anymore, it is very easy for me to have all the quiet time in the world. I pray for all the young mothers who are busy with raising their precious ones, that they can find that special time for just them and the Lord. It can make all the difference in the world in how the day goes!
    Thank you for coming over to my place and leaving such sweet, encouraging words! I so appreciate them! :)
    BLessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true .... we can fill our live with so many things... things to do and things to have. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great quote by Oswald Chambers and a great post by you. We so need this time and I too often let my business get in the way. I've been convicted lately of this same thing and this morning started my day off right with my time with God. I can already feel thie difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Denise, how easy it is to become distracted and caught up in activities and other 'things'. What a timely reminder to spend time in His presence each and every day. I know that even my husband notices when I've not had my daily quiet time. So, I need to get off the computer and into His Word. :)

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise,
    I am glad you visited my blog last night and left a comment so I could find your blog. I was truly blessed reading this post. It is so vitally important to keep God first in life. I believe we all fall short in this area and I know I do.
    God bless,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could really relate to this post, Denise, especially when you said, "Sometimes I lose my focus and become distracted from time spent with God. I begin to feel an emptiness inside and know that there is something missing, and I realize that I have bumped God out of first place!" Thank you so much for being the nudge from God that I needed today.
    Pam at www.2encourage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so true and so convicting as I know my speech is often not encouraging. I also lean to gossip too easily. Thank you for the reminder. I love your words that some people are a magnet for gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And...thank you for letting God use your words in encouragement by the words you left on my blog regarding my interview!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your words on so on target and I appreciate you so much.......It is very important who we hang around and what we allow to occupy our minds.....Spending time with God is like food for us in every way.....I certainly cannot make it without His filling every day.....'

    Thank you so much for your comments on my blog.....It always means a lot to me to read your you have to say....

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! I stumbled onto your page as I was looking for images to add to my blog on distractions! This is an awesome post and very encouraging. I love the sheer inspiration I get by reading the work of other writers. Continued blessings to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete