Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Anger Trap





“Don’t sin by letting anger get control over you. Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry.” (Ephesians 4:26)

Anger is an emotion that many of us experience from time to time because it is just a part of our human nature. After all, we are made in God’s image and even He has experienced anger! I think God understands we will get angry, but the challenge is not to sin when we become angry or allow it to linger. When I become angry at someone or at a particular situation, I tend to let it bottle up inside and I can become very bitter. But once I acknowledge my anger and allow it to be, I can usually move quickly beyond it. Through prayer (lots of it!) and reliance upon God’s word and Holy Spirit, my anger can be overcome and resolved.  Anger in itself isn’t really the sin, it is an emotion that can get out of control and lead to sinful acts if we don’t handle it in a Christ-like manner. And I have found that by dealing with the situation immediately, and letting go of any resentment and animosity I am carrying, I can put it all in perspective and respond to the situation effectively.

“Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. For a man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. (James 1:19-20)

How does it usually make you feel when you have been really angry? If not handled with a calm and positive attitude, I find myself completely ashamed and wonder what it really accomplished, and what good it really did. Life is just too precious to let my anger become a bitter feeling that springs up into my heart and overshadows my Christian relationships. It is my duty to love my fellow man! If I can just stay focused on taking a deep breath and remind myself of how much more effective I am by maintaining a positive approach, I will emerge with a feeling of humbleness and obedience. God wants all of us to live a lifestyle of love that does not allow unresolved anger. He wants to fill our hearts with joy, and we can all overcome our anger by the power of God’s Word and Spirit! :)

 “I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling.” (l Timothy 2:8)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Denise. This is an awesome post. So practical. I sometimes handle my anger well, and other times not, and then I get all down on myself for not handling it well. I like that you said its not the anger thats the sin, its how you handle it that can be sinful. Again, great post.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama-you are such a talented writer! This message really spoke to me this morning...thank you for sharing your thoughts! I've always thought that remaining angry at a person or situation is the easy way out-it takes much more strength and courage to forgive them, but it is much more fulfilling! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise,

    Your blog is beautiful! You have an eye for beauty as well as words! Anger is something I have worked to dispel my entire life because I can be quick tempered. I am married to a very calm man which can make for an interesting mix!

    Recently I picked up "Angry But Don't Blow It" by Lisa Bevere. A must read for this topic! Thanks ..have a great week!

    ReplyDelete